Thursday, October 23, 2008

High School HIV Out break


While I was browsing my favorite website, mediatakeout.com I ran across a story from St.Louis about a high school HIV outbreak, where 50 students tested positive for the virus. Now the entire student body will be tested. My jaw hit the floor. I have heard of high school students having HIV before but an outbreak???? IN HIGH SCHOOL, Not college, took me by surprise. I couldn't imagine getting ready for homecoming and being told I have HIV, or graduation for that matter. I think it is past time for us as a country to get serious about this situation. Especially those in the African American community. This isn't a disease you can come back from, this is a disease you will have for LIFE. I have a younger sister who is in high school and I make it my business to tell her the truth about unsafe sex and the consequences. We live in a time now where it's wrap it up or DIE. One silly move could cost you your life, and the lives of others.

2 comments:

Ms. B. said...

That is sad. I really don't understand why people don't check stuff out, especially because hiv is such a serious disease. It doesn't matter if you are having sex, getting a tattoo, or getting a piercing-do the research! Get to know people (well) before you have sex and asking questions about the tattoo/piercing parlor is a must.

I couldn't imagine having to tell my parents that my high school has an HIV outbreak...and if I had it...I'm sure my parents would feel like complete failures.

The article said it was an urban school, so I wonder if money was being spent on educating these kids on hiv?

You should keep us updated on this....

SaM-1 said...

WOW! An HIV outbreak at a high school is just unbelievable! Maybe at a college level but never high school. People should really be very cautious when being sexually active and definitely educated about HIV.